Thursday, April 21, 2011

One Week Ago.....Today

I am struck when I think that one week ago to the hour I was the center of attention in a surgery theatre. At one point I was surviving strictly through technology:  my heart was in the hands of a human being and not beating at all.  I remember nothing of the procedure. I felt nothing. I was gone to the world.

I do remember the tech coming into my room and wheeling me down long hallways with boring ceilings. Perhaps ads could be sold and attached to those ceilings and significant income generated for the hospital. The drug companies would be on that idea in an instant. I don't think funeral and cemetary ads would be allowed, though....just a bad idea, all in all. How about the IRS? Taxes and Death the only sure thing in life?
I was deposited in a waiting room and queried by several people as to my name and birthdate, and as to what I was about to undergo. I answered all questions correctly because everyone nodded affirmatively.

As my gurney glided into the OR, I am sure my eyes widened as I took in the equipment, the technology and the green-clad people. It was all for me....and I was impressed. I can be strangely disconnected in this kind of situation...I don't know if this is a good trait or a bad one.  I felt no apprehension. I looked down on my partly uncovered body and chuckled about the permanent marker tracks up and down my legs. These marked the veins to be "harvested" for the bypass procedure. "X's" marked pulsepoints on my feet. I looked like a roadmap. One assistant came up and said he was going to turn me on my side so he could plaster a "grounding" pad on my buttock. It was cold. The assistant on the other side did the same...I "whooped" because it was much colder....and upon my commenting, the anesthesiologist said it was the guy's hand. We all had a good laugh at that one. I still laugh when I think of it. I'm laughing right now, and it hurts.

I looked over and there was Tovar standing over my right side. I said "Good Morning", he nodded, and then the anesthesiologist told me he was releasing the chemical into my vein. How can something feel ice cold and hot at the same time? This was powerful stuff. I felt myself fading and said "Here I go, see ya later".

(To be continued)

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Steve, you have always been a secret inspiration to me. Your steadfast strength and patients with people and situations that would have me cursing you seem to glide right through. I can't imagine mustering the immense bravery that it has taken for you to endure what you have just gone through. I guess it is a testament of what a human (with God's guidance)can accomplish. My (and my children) prayers have been with you and will continue to be as you heal and prepare for your next bout of procedures. I have all the faith in the Lord (and you) that all will be fine.

    ReplyDelete