Thursday, May 19, 2011

Update from Cedars-Sinai

Sue and I met with Dr. Amersi, the surgeon who will remove the carcinoid tumor, yesterday afternoon at Cedars-Sinai. The surgery is set for this coming Tuesday, May 24th, early in the morning. Dr. Amersi was very straightforward in her accounting of the situation. The fact that it will be just under six weeks since my heart surgery requires that the surgical team "gets me off the table" as quickly as possible. Therefore, no lapriscopic procedure, which is considered stressful, but rather an open incision which allows for quick observation, analysis and removal of the tumor. She expects to remove a section of small bowel...how much is not known. Indeed, until she and her crew get into my abdominal cavity, there is no predicting what they will find. Hopefully, this will be a fairly straightforward affair and I can go about my recovery, which is longer
than the recovery from a lapriscopic procedure.

Admittedly, our talk with her was sobering. But after taking it all in, I find her logic unassailable. It all makes sense....

The unknown is what is scary.....isn't it always? What will they find? ......???????

Today marks the fifth week since my heart surgery.......and I feel quite good. My stamina still is not pre-surgery and the cold weather leaves me shivering uncontrollably sometimes......and I am a cold weather type of guy. I didn't have that issue in Tucson.

I know that many are praying for me and that means so much. Some lyrics from one of my favorite songs:


A long, long road, it lies before me
And fate will take me where it will
But through the valleys and over mountains
I'll not forget, but remember you still

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I wanted to let you know Kathy at work linked us to your blog and I told her I would come read and leave a few comments.

    Really stunned by these types of blogs because they're a huge change from the fodder I usually read on tumblr.

    Keep strong and stay real, brother. Ms Hamrock is a tough lady and I know this is a stunner for her, but she's a positive person and I'm gonna guess that runs in the family :)

    Best wishes,

    Marianna

    ReplyDelete