Monday, May 23, 2011

The Day Before and Some Thoughts

Tuesday's surgery has been put back to 9:00 a.m., give or take fifteen minutes. At least I will not have to get up as early as originally scheduled.

I am "prepping" for tomorrow right now. This consists primarily of sitting around waiting for the purgative to work its wonders on my alimentary canal. None of this is pleasant. It is tiring and I would rather be doing something else. I cannot eat any solid food since last night and nothing can pass my lips after midnight tonight.

I went into my heart surgery with a great degree of detachment. I have different feelings about tomorrow.
When I awoke in ICU almost six weeks ago I knew the surgery was successful...I was alive.
Tomorrow, when I awake, I'll not know the full results or success of the surgery until the doctor tells me what was found in my abdomen. And then, there might be a need for continued treatment of some kind.
I liken this all to the opening of Pandora's Box.

Sue and I will stay in a hotel tonight, just a block from the hospital. We can avoid the maddening traffic in the morning that way, and with the setback in time we will experience less stress "checking in".

I know that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of people keeping me in their prayers. I am quite famous it seems......it must be my flamboyant personality and liquid blue eyes.

I cannot express in words how much these prayers mean to me..........keep me in your thoughts Tuesday morning. It fortifies me.

Thank You,

Stephen

1 comment:

  1. Steve:

    I wish I had read this on Monday or even Tuesday but life got in the way. Now, with it being Wednesday and post-surgery, we know the results are rather positive; the waiting for the pathology report is torture, though.

    I don't have much to say. I can't marshal my thoughts other than to tell you how much I love you. I really want all of this over. Hang in, brother.

    Midge and Tom

    ReplyDelete