Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Reflections on June 20th....a Father's Passing

Yesterday, the 20th of June, marked the anniversary of my father's death. I failed to mention it in last night's blog. He suffered a minor heart attack in February of 1988 and underwent bypass surgery. The night before he was to return to work he fell terribly ill. He was suffering an intestinal blockage caused by a tumor in his colon. He was 63 when that all occured. He passed away just after his 66th birthday earlier in June, 1991.
Among his regrets was that he would not live long enough to celebrate the new century. I lit a 50 yard long string of firecrackers that New Year's Eve, 2000, in his memory.

He died in his bed, surrounded by many of his children and his loving wife. We were all able to give one last kiss....and he died just minutes after the last family member bent over him and said goodbye with that kiss.
I look back on that night and my witness to his passing as a privileged gift. I lived next door to my parents' house, and I still do.  As I walked back to my house in the early morning hour to tell Sue of his death, I looked at the western horizon and saw three bright planets aligned as if beacons in the sky. The crescent 
moon was just to the left of those planets. I have never forgotten that.......and I have never seen that celestial
alignment since.

The parallels of my father's experiences to my own are obvious. I was fortunate. That is all I can say.

He told my mother that when the wind swept over her, it was a sign that he was present and watching over her.

Stephen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment