Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cardiac Rehabilitation....The Meeting

I should have started Cardiac Rehabilitation several weeks ago, but the tumor surgery and the recovery from that surgery delayed my attendance. Frankly, I had forgotten about it. It is required, but in my heart I considered re-hab a nuisance....something to put up with. After all,I feel great.

My introduction to the program occured today. A dynamic nurse, who pulled no punches, bombarded me with questions and facts that left my head spinning. The bottom line is that I have a good deal more healing to do. I have only just begun, really. The eight week recovery time so often quoted is the time it takes for the chest to be healed enough to allow for certain activities. The chest really takes up to twelve weeks to fully knit. But the precious heart takes upwards of six to eight months to heal from the wounds inflicted on it. The grafts are still fragile for quite some time after surgery.... far more so than I thought. How naive I am.

I learned that my two main arteries were 100% blocked!! My heart/body made up for this by diverting blood flow through other minor veins, which expanded to take the increased flow for oxygenated blood....blood that could not pass through my arteries. A third artery was 70% blocked. The reason for the lack of classic heart disease symptoms was the compensating flow of blood through the smaller veins. That is what was keeping me from having a major or fatal attack. That is how close "it" was.

A regimen of exercise (treadmills, stationary bikes, walking) is on my "must do" daily list....for the rest of my life. Likewise, a proper diet and low sodium intake is mandatory for maintaining health.

The nurse, who I respect, stated something that she deeply believed...... I could tell from her eyes and the catch in her voice. She stated that the heart is what drives our emotions and moods. When the heart goes through surgery, it is "pissed" and it will bring on depression, sadness, uncertainty, and crying. It is the source of love and "heart"break. Well, I hadn't heard any of that, but I can understand it. I'll accept it as true.

Stephen

No comments:

Post a Comment