Friday, July 8, 2011

Milestones.....

Prior to my surgeries, and ignorant of my heart's condition, I would regularly walk the mile that defines the square block in Santa Fe Springs upon which the business is located. Later in the day I might choose to walk additional miles on the walking path that runs through Whittier along an old railroad right-of-way.

This afternoon I walked that square block without stopping. It was the first time I had done so in three months. I didn't think much about it when I started.....it was just a walk. But half-way through I was struck with the thought that I was passing some personal milestone. I became a bit emotional with the realization that I was seeing territory that I had not seen for weeks. Nothing had changed, yet I saw it with different eyes.
A few tears filled them...just briefly, for they were wiped away quickly, and I went on, not wanting to break the stride I had set. I walked that mile in twenty minutes....my best prior time was sixteen and one-half minutes.

As I said...it was a personal milestone.


SRH

No comments:

Post a Comment