Thursday, July 26, 2012

Update and Renewal

I have cause to resume my Journal. Perhaps it is mere whim, but I sense a need to do so. I wonder if anyone still comes to the site and, with expectation, or is it curiosity, looks to see if there is anything new? I imagine I have disappointed a good number of followers.

My last post was in mid-April of this year, when I marked the one year anniversary of my two surgeries and the subsequent return to health over that year of recovery. Mentioned was the need to repair a minor hernia that had developed along what I call the "faultline" of my earlier abdominal incision. Such hernias are called "ventral hernias" and can be the source of discomfort at best and of pain at worst. My hernia caused neither, but was quite visible through my clothing....I called it "The Alien". Few said they noticed it, but I think they were being nice...kind of like not remarking that one's fly is open.

Upon touching base with my Cedars-Simai surgeon to see what could be done about the hernia, it became known that I had slipped through the cracks and had not been back for the six month tracking tests and scans that should have been conducted last December. So I was promptly scheduled for an MRI, a CAT scan, and several workups used to detect the presence of abnormal levels of hormones and other indicators of carcinoid tumors.While sitting in the Cancer Center waiting room a wave of emotion swept over me and tears filled my eyes. It all came back.
But there was nothing to do but go forward with the faith that I was in good hands.

As it all turned out there was no indication in any of the tests that the cancer had returned. I really had not expected to hear that it had, but it was a relief to be told I was clear of the disease.....for now.
Dr. Wolin wrapped up his report with the statement that it was likely the cancer would return in the future....most probably in the very distant future. A regular six month schedule of scans and imaging will be necessary. This was sobering. My resolve is to live a life of healthy exercise, diet and spiritual
wholeness. There is really no alternative.

Concurrently, the issue of the hernia was addressed with Dr. Miguel Burch, a highly recommended "non-invasive" surgeon practicing at Cedars-Sinai. I needed no persuasion to agree to the hernia fix. I was told that the recovery would be extended and uncomfortable. There was a need to install a large mesh fabric panel within the abdominal wall to contain all the hernias; there were many small ones and one very large one ("The Alien"). The mesh panel is about the size of a piece of copy paper and would take many sutures to secure it in place.

Two weeks ago today that surgery was performed. I was released the following Sunday afternoon.
Sue stayed in the room with me and at night lay on a small foldup cot in the corner trying to sleep through the constant intrusions of the nursing staff as they conducted regular checkups on my vital signs and gave me medication. I ate no solid food for 84 hours, "subsisting" on one ounce of water every hour the first day after the surgery. Later, I was served a liquid diet of chicken broth, apple juice, cranberry juice, frozen lemonade and tea. I can't stand apple juice and don't like cranberry juice and the iced lemonade was too sweet, so I slurped some of the thin broth and drank the tea. Only on Sunday was I served more solid fare....with a sendoff feast of meatloaf, mashed potatos, coffee and something else (I can't remember). The meatloaf and potatos were hot and not bad. My stomach welcomed the incoming fare and I could just hear the thud as the swallowed mouthfuls plummeted to the bottom of my very empty stomach. I was famished.

But that was all two weeks ago. My recovery, which I was dreading, has been remarkably pain free and the great discomfort I feared has not materialized. It is too good to be true. A physial examination by Dr. Burch yesterday confirmed the success of the procedure and my overall good health. I had lost about ten pounds in two weeks and a half on a very low calorie diet recommened by Dr. Burch.
I will continue the regimen with the goal of losing another ten pounds.

This surgery and the other procedures performed just a little over a year ago add up to four times I have had to go under anaesthesia and endure a recovery of body and of soul. So I am weary of the routine. All indications are that I will not need to undergo any such procedure in the future.

Life is short....... Life, like some gusting breeze, can sweep the most unexpected of trials and tests into our individual worlds.

There will be a Full Moon on the night of August 1st.

SRH

No comments:

Post a Comment